Monday 24 July 2017

Welcome to Integrated Gamer!

So, what is this blog for? Well...

Do you own a PC that relies on an integrated graphics processor? Perhaps it's an ex-corporate model that you bought second-hand because it was cheap. Are you not a dedicated gamer, but still someone who likes to have fun from time to time? Me too.

Have you grown tired of posters on so-called help forums doing little more than laughing when you ask what your computer is like for gaming, or being told that nothing short of a discrete graphics card costing twice the price of your entire PC is worth using? Yes? Well, you too might be an Integrated Gamer!

I'm here to tell you that you absolutely can enjoy playing games on such a PC. Lots and lots of games. Sure, you're not going to be playing the latest AAA titles in 1920x1080 at ultra quality settings. Bluntly, you're mostly going to be playing older games. But there's still a lot of space to explore and enjoy.

Before I go any further, here's the PC I'm using:
Dell OptiPlex 7010 (Small Form Factor case)
Intel Core i3-3220 (3.3 GHz)
Intel HD 2500 graphics (integrated into CPU)
6 GB RAM
500 GB hard disk
DVDRW
This is not an expensive setup by any means: the base unit cost me just under £75 on eBay recently. I did have to add my own monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating systems: I dual-boot with Windows 7 Home Premium and Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon. The Dell is very much an ex-corporate model and so not very upgradeable. With one or two exceptions, I'm stuck with what I've got – and this is the system on which I'll be trying games out.

That's all for now. Next time, I'll be seeing how an actual game performs on this hardware. Join me then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GT Legends (Windows, 2005)